Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Review: The Replacement (The Replacement #1) by Brenna Yovanoff

Synopsis: "Mackie Doyle is not one of us. Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, he comes from a world of tunnels and black murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess. He is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood, and consecrated ground, Mackie is fighting to survive in the human world.

Mackie would give anything to live among us, to practice on his bass or spend time with his crush, Tate. But when Tate's baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem. He must face the dark creatures of the Slag Heaps and find his rightful place, in our world, or theirs." Source

Review
Plot: I went into the book with a clear head. I heard good things about the book, but, for me, it did resonate when I read it. It was way too hard to get through this book. I dreaded reading it. The plot was good and the writing was amazing, but it was dragging. The one thing that frustrated me with this book is that they wouldn't say what he is! Right when I got to around page 150, I had to stop. They still did not reveal what he was and I couldn't take anymore of it. I think that if I knew what he was from the beginning, I would have enjoyed the book more and understood what was going on. They kept dragging about how sick Mackie was and what he was, but never actually said it soon enough. I had to find out from spoiler sites what he was.

Characters: Mackie-He was definitely a great character. He was going through immense pain and didn't know his true self while everyone knew it. It was nice to see a character who was still isolated even though he had friends, but also had a life for the most part. Excluding his personality, I felt like Mackie was a little cliche. He liked the popular girl, but then started liking the outcast. Been there, read that. And, he kept dwelling in his pain and what he was. I know that is the key to the book, but it was hard to read over 300 pages about a guy who doesn't like their life.

Cover: The cover was what mainly pulled me in. I always thought (still do!) that this cover was extremely gorgeous and interesting. It's not every day you see a baby cradle with weapons hanging over it. This cover is undeniably one of the best I've seen.

Overall Rating: I give this book a two out of four. Before you boo me, I got really frustrated with this book. Now that I have found out what he is, I will probably go back to this book. Right now, I will give this book a two out of four, but I promise I will give this book one more shot in the future, but I don't know when. Probably when I go on a road trip or have spare time, but, for now, I'm done with it.
Peace and Fangs,
Alisha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork: Resources Graphics