Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Review: Sisters Red (Sisters Red #1) by Jackson Pearce

Synopsis: Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris– the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She’s determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts fiercely alongside her. Now Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves and finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax– but loving him means betraying her sister and has the potential to destroy all they’ve worked for.

Twenty-five-year-old Jackson Pearce delivers a dark, taut fairy tale with heart-pounding action, fierce sisterly love, and a romance that will leave readers breathless. Source

Review
Plot: I wanted to take some time out from my book challenges, so I picked up this book when I saw that many other book blogs have reviewed it. I am a sucker for a good retell on classics...when they're done right. I have to say that I loved Sisters Red. It was a nice refreshing take on an age old classic. I loved how instead of the main character being just one person, it was two sisters. Not only were they sisters, but they talk throughout the book of having the same heart. I loved that type of metaphor, but it did seem like that fact got in the way of both of them. The book is told in both Rosie and Scarlett point of views. I have to say that I preferred Rosie's point of views because she had outside interests and more emotions. She started to fall for Silas and she wanted a life outside of just hunting Fenris (like werewolves). It was nice to see that she didn't want to disappoint or hurt her sister, but she didn't want to deny that she wanted something more. Scarlett's chapters were harder to read because they honestly all about hunting. I understood it was her passion, but I was sort of thankful when Rosie chapters would come around because I could kind of take a break from hunting. I did, however, like that you saw the differences between someone who loves hunting and someone who feels that they are binded to hunting.

Characters: Scarlett-I liked Scarlett. She was a nice character to provide the motherly and protective half of the two sisters. She is tied to hunting willingly, but wishes that she could have a normal life. But, with all of her scars and bites, she knows she could never have a normal life.
Rosie-Rosie wants that normal life back. She wants to go to school and do things that interest her. I loved her most when she was struggling between her love for Silas and her love for her sister. She doesn't want to disappoint her sister by disliking to hunt day in and day out, but she wants to have a life and show her feelings for Silas.
Silas-I liked Silas for the most part. He was hesitant to make a relationship with Rosie, but wanted to for the most part. He also wanted a life outside of hunting and wasn't afraid to tell Scarlett that. I will say without giving out any spoilers that I was pissed with Silas at one point. He cheated on Rosie...well, in a way, he cheated on her. I won't say when, but you will know the part I was talking about.

Cover: I loved the cover to this. It was creative to connect the girls' hair with the wolf. It was beautifully done and I loved how simple the cover is, but each color and design are very well pronounced.

Overall Rating: I give this book a four out of four because it was a great retelling of an old classic and I do recommend who love Little Red Riding Hood or want to see Red Riding Hood movie that comes out in March, please read this book. There is a sequel coming out. There is no set date or title, but Little Brown has made a deal with Pearce for a sequel!

Peace and Fangs,
Alisha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork: Resources Graphics