Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Review: Blue Moon (The Immortals #2) by Alyson Noël

Synopsis: Eager to learn everything she can about her new abilities as an Immortal, Ever turns to her beloved Damen to show her the way. But just as her powers are increasing, Damen’s are waning.  In an attempt to save him, Ever travels to the magical dimension of Summerland, where she learns the secrets of Damen’s tortured past; a past which he has always kept hidden from her. But in her quest to cure Damen, Ever discovers an ancient text that details the workings of time. Now Ever must chose between turning back the past and saving her family from the accident that claimed their lives—or staying in the present and saving Damen, who grows sicker every day... Source

Review
Plot: I finished the second book in the Immortal series and I have to say that I am like many other readers of this series and say that this was not as good as the first. I felt like this plot was made up to prolong the series. I was glad to see more of Damen, but I wanted to see more of Ever developing her powers. It seemed like she already knew her powers, even though throughout Blue Moon, she says she was always distracting Damen from her lessons. Also, I thought it was cliché that Ever thought the new guy was suspicious, but no one else thinks so. It was kind of expected and it made the plot dry and unoriginal. And, in the synopsis, when it talks about Damen's tortured past, there was one point where I could see that he was in anguish over, but it wasn't what I was thinking. (Spoilers coming up, pass over them and go to the rest of the review, if you don't want to see.)
****SPOILERS****
Okay, so there's the guy, Roman, he appears out of nowhere! Like, one day everything's peachy and the next, this guy shows up! Of course, he's the bad guy and of course he's an Immortal too. No surprise there, which made the book even more dry. I will say that he never gives up, which did make the book more interesting.
When Damen gets sick, it is very...jaw dropping. It made the book more interesting. I could not believe some of the things Damen thought and said about Ever. It seemed like he was a completely different person, including when he changed his special room from a vintage state to a rec room. I loved Damen in this one because it was such different personalities, you can see how genuine and romantic the real Damen is. (P.S. If you didn't already guess, Roman is behind Damen getting sick.)
Lastly, Damen's tortured past is that he saw his parents murdered. That made me empathize with Damen and see kind of why he didn't want to look at the past. Also, it was a kind of twist to see that Roman was one of the Immortals Damen had turned. However, it was ruined when it came out of nowhere like a lot of surprises in the book.
**************************
Characters: Ever-She is a good character, I have to admit, because she isn't perfect. She has her flaws like thinking there's always something up with new people and that she still grieves over her family. I do like her decisions she makes in Blue Moon, you think that maybe it's all about Damen, but it still isn't to her. She loves everyone around her, but Damen's the one who helps her get through the tough times.
Damen-Damen is very...different in this book. If you didn't read the spoilers, you'll have to see for yourself. It was a nice twist that I did like in here. I wasn't expecting him to act the way he did in most of the book.
Roman-Evil. That is the first thing I have to say. A good evil though, he does not give up and I love that. It's non-stop problems. When one things resolved, another pops up. There is just one question I have to ask him: how did he do it? You'll see what I mean when you read the book, but it is never revealed exactly how he did it.

Cover: I love the cover for this book as well! It's of Ever holding, what seems to me, like Summerland. I love the contrast of the yellow to the dark hues of blue. To me, it's like Ever's starting to gain control on how to use Summerland. Plus, it is where she gets most of her answers in Blue Moon.

Overall Rating: I give this book a 3 out of 4. It wasn't as good as Evermore in terms of romance, which you know I always look for, but it was good for some drama. Alyson did do better on gradualing making the drama get to the climax and not springing it up on us. I will be reading the next book which is Shadowland (Immortals #3) to see how this series turns out.
Peace and Fangs,
Alisha

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, doesn't have to do with the review-I just wanted to say I like the new design. Very festive and pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork: Resources Graphics