Sunday, December 19, 2010

Marked by P.C. and Kristin Cast (Review)

Reading level: Young Adult
Edition: Paperback, 320 pages
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin (May 1, 2007)
Language: English
Series: Book 1
Synopsis: Enter the dark, magical world of The House of Night, a world very much like our own, except here vampyres have always existed. Sixteen-year-old Zoey Redbird has just been Marked as a fledgling vampyre and joins the House of Night, a school where she will train to become an adult vampire. That is, if she makes it through the Change—and not all of those who are Marked do. It sucks to begin a new life, especially away from her friends, and on top of that, Zoey is no average fledgling. She has been chosen as special by the vampyre Goddess Nyx. Zoey discovers she has amazing powers, but along with her powers come bloodlust and an unfortunate ability to Imprint her human ex-boyfriend. To add to her stress, she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers: When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite group, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny—with a little help from her new vampyre friends. Source

Review: I gave this book a chance a few months back, but couldn't finish it. For some reason I just couldn't get into it. Then, a few weeks ago, I decided it was time to give Marked one more try. At first, I could see why I couldn't get into it, but as I read deeper and deeper into the book, I really go into it.

I loved the different characters, including Damien and Stevie Rae. They help Zoey no matter what and bring insight when Zoey is lost. I feel like they will continue to be there for Zoey and are good characters who seem to develop through Marked.

I loved Zoey because she was a real main character. She is realistic because she makes mistakes, but she recognizes them and tries to make them right. She's not always nice, but not always mean. She is a breath of fresh air because she possesses great powers but she doesn't know how to use. However, she tries her best to grasp them with the help of her friends and her grandmother.

The plot, I think, was a great start for the series. It wasn't too intense, but not just about meeting the characters. I felt like the ending of the book left me off with a good cliff-hanger that makes me want to continue reading the series, but wrapped up Marked so it can be a good stand alone book in the series. However, I feel like the Cast team describe things and people way too immensely. There would be paragraphs just describing a building or certain event going on. I like when people over do it than under do it, but I couldn't get into those parts when they were describing things.

All in all, I give this book a three out of four because I truly did love the characters and the plot to Marked, but the describing was a little too much for me.
Peace and Fangs,
Alisha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork: Resources Graphics