Saturday, August 11, 2012

Review: Soul Bound (Blood Coven #7) by Mari Mancusi

Title: Soul Bound
Author: Mari Mancusi
Series: Blood Coven
            1. Boys That Bite
            2. Stake That!
            3. Girls That Growl
            4. Bad Blood
            5. Night School
            6. Blood Ties
            7. Soul Bound
            8. Blood Forever (September 4, 2012)
Format: Paperback (256 pages)
Release Date: March 6, 2012
Genre(s): Paranormal Romance, YA, Fantasy, Action/Adventure

Rating:

Summary

Sunny McDonald and her vampire boyfriend, Magnus, are on the run-accused of treason and wanted alive...or undead. And her twin is the slayer sent to track them down.

Rayne would do anything to save her twin sister, Sunny, from the Vampire Consortium dictator who wants her dead. Instead, she's been commissioned by Slayer Inc. to find Sunny and Magnus and deliver them to the Consortium...which Rayne knows means certain death. She also knows that if she and her boyfriend, Jareth, disobey orders, they are signing not only their own death warrants, but also those of every vampire in the Blood Coven.

As a rival slayer with a personal vendetta moves in, Rayne and Jareth must do something to stop her. So they embark on their most dangerous journey yet, deep beneath the streets of New York City and through the Gates of the Underworld. But when a greedy god demands the ultimate sacrifice, will Rayne be forced to choose between her sister...and the vampire she loves? Source



Review

Plot: In this seventh installment of the Blood Coven series, Rayne is ordered to find Sunny and Magnus after they go on the run after being committed of treason. I say this a lot but I can not say much without giving major spoilers away. I will say that it is again full of pop culture references and ridiculous plot twists. Not in a bad way, but in a sense that its sort of cartoonish. The way she set up the fairies are the same way she sets up the Underworld. I wish it was taken a bit more seriously, but maybe that's the point, it's not suppose to be. It is very ridiculous at times but I still love this series. I don't think it is a timeless one because of the constant pop culture references, which is a pet peeve of mine, but it is a fun one to read. To me, it's like a purse book. You keep it in your bag for something to enjoy while you're waiting for someone or something. I love this series and like the plotline with the sisters, but I feel like this might turn out to be like Vampire Kisses.

Character(s): Rayne - Rayne is...Rayne. She is feisty and quick with the comebacks like she always is. I like that she has such a big dilemma in her hands with her sister's fate but also her own. It brought more to the plot because it wasn't an easy out for Rayne nor was it an easy choice. I do think that she does get the short end of the stick in the book and its interesting to see how it plays out for her. I did think that when something happens to one of the character's, I guess I was a little surprised at her emotions. They weren't as emotional or natural as I would think they would be.
Sunny - You don't get to read much of Sunny in this book, but she does make appearances in the most pivotal plot twists. She still seems too innocent for my taste. She's a fairie now and is dating a vampire, but I still feel like she's too innocent for me. It seems like she still wants a "normal" life but it will never happen. I wish she would come to revelation and not keep pushing away from something that is inevitable.

Cover: I love this cover, especially because the model looks like Rayne. It sort of reminds me of a mix between a Vampire Academy and Vampire Kisses novel.

Closing Thoughts: I'm giving this a three out of four because it is sometimes a bit corney but it's also very addictive. I love this series and will finish it up, but I wish it was a bit more serious. It seems to always be funny that when there's a serious scene, it seems like an extreme change and I can't take it seriously by then. It is a funny and enjoyable series, but just beware of the references and cartoonish feel.
Where to find Mari:

Peace and Fangs,
Alisha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork: Resources Graphics