Thursday, July 21, 2011

ARC Review: Blood Ties (Blood Coven #6) by Mari Mancusi

Synopsis: The final battle is brewing between Vampires and Slayers. But for Sunny McDonald, the true war is being fought over her heart.

Though now officially back in the arms of her vampire boyfriend Magnus, Sunny finds she still can't forget the gentle mortal Jayden who once saved her life. And when the darkness threatens to steal his humanity, Sunny finds herself with a choice. Stay true to Magnus and the Blood Coven or defy them in a desperate attempt to save Jayden’s soul.

Meanwhile, the Blood Coven is gearing up for its toughest fight yet--going head to head with a splinter group of Slayer Inc who's regrouping in Tokyo, Japan, still determined to take over the world. In dark blood bars and hidden temples, it'll be Vampires vs. Slayers in a showdown that could cost Sunny not only her heart...but also her very life. Source
 
Review
Plot: I had to skip the fifth book to read this one since it didn't come in on time. But, I didn't really need to read the fifth one to understand this book's plot. Mancusi elegantly went over some details of the previous book, so that people like me weren't as lost. I think the plot was the right way to break off from the last installment and move forward to the next one. It follows Sunny and goes through her love triangle along with her trying to save Jayden's life. She took a lot more risks, which was weird because I would only expect from Rayne.
 
However, I loved the romance aspects of the book. Sunny is truly conflicted. You have a handsome and intelligent vampire boyfriend and then the sweetest and bravest guy. Even I couldn't decide who she should be with, sometimes I was rooting for Magnus and other times I was pulling for Jayden.
 
I think the only thing that bothered me about this book was the slang. I love Sunny and her POV, but I was getting tired of the Valley Girl talk. I'm a teenager and I hate that kind of talk. I'm not trying to be too hard since Mancusi switches between two twins, you should try to make them as opposite as possible since their personalities are, but it was hard to get over the slang. And, because of the slang, when she was trying to speak to elder vampires or to her centuries old boyfriend, it seemed a little juvenile and it was hard to think Magnus could bear it, let alone talk like that himself.
 
Characters: Sunny - I love Sunny! She's coming into her own as the books progress. The life she wanted isn't in reach anymore and she's aware of that. So, she'll do anything to adapt to the life she has now. After reading BT, I'm not sure whether or not she'll ever want to be part vampire like her sister.

Magnus - How can I describe him? I guess I have mixed feelings towards him. Sometimes he puts Sunny into account and does so much for her. But, he doesn't treat her like an equal. Slowly, he does start to see what he was doing and wants to fix it.

Jayden - He will always have a special part in my heart. I loved everything he said and did. He was never shy about telling Sunny how he felt and what he wanted with her, even after being turned down. I hope Jayden is in future books and the fire rages on between him and Sunny.

Cover: I like the cover. It is very simple, but pretty. I can't say much without giving away a lot of the plot, but the church windows are a nice touch. It does represent a good chunk of the book. And, I'm also guessing that the girl is Sunny by the blonde hair.

Overall Rating: I'm giving this book a three out of four. I had to take a nail polish away for the slang. I will say to please go read this book and the series. I feel like Mancusi does an incredible job with making a world of traditional vampires in truly modern times and creating romances with modern teens and centuries old vamps.
Peace and Fangs,
Alisha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork: Resources Graphics