Monday, June 11, 2012

Review: Spells (Wings #2) by Aprilynne Pike

Title: Spells
Author: Aprilynne Pike
Series: Wings
    1. Wings
    2. Spells
    3. Illusions
    4. Destined
Format: Hardcover (368 pages)
Release Date: May 4, 2010
Genre(s): YA, Fantasy, Paranormal Romance
Rating:       




Summary

Six months have passed since Laurel saved the gateway to the faerie realm of Avalon. Now she must spend her summer there, honing her skills as a Fall faerie. But her human family and friends are still in mortal danger--and the gateway to Avalon is more compromised than ever.

When it comes time to protect those she loves, will she depend on David, her human boyfriend, for help? Or will she turn to Tamani, the electrifying faerie with whom her connection is undeniable? Source


Review

Plot: I was so excited to finally be able to continue on in the Wings series. I wanted to know how Laurel would adjust to the fae world and the love triangle between her, David, and Tamani. Spells starts off as Laurel is getting ready to enter Avalon to spend the summer catching up with her abilities. As she goes through her studies as a Fall faerie, she starts to see the division of class between Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter faeries. But she also gets to know more of Tam's life and family as well as his feelings towards their relationship because of the classes. I loved the deeper look into Avalon because it has that very whimsical and peaceful but you also see that it is like every other world in the sense as it isn't all rainbows and sunshine, even though there's a lot of that. I was afraid of how Pike would make Avalon because some authors can make faerie world comes off as a little cartoonish or comical but she did an amazing job with this Avalon because you see the magical atmosphere of it as well as the reality of any world. Along with Laurel's stay there, I do like the return of some characters because it does create tension aside from the romance. Speaking of, there is much more and much more drama but it seems to be somewhat resolved. I wish there was just a little more fairness between the two, including with Tam. It seemed like no matter what happened in the story, it always goes back to the love interest that first shows up.

Character(s): Laurel - Laurel is one of the few heroines I love. I love that she is trying to find herself in being a faerie but also within the human world where she's grown up. She is definitely a force to be reckon with and knows what she wants when she finally decides on it. Except for when it comes between David and Tamani. Like I said before, I wish there were more fairness. Shar tells Laurel himself that she isn't being fair with Tam and I believe that as well. Tam obviously deserves a fighting chance and like so many other love triangles: the love interest that came into the picture after the first one always gets the short stick.
Tamani - In Wings, much to the demise of my friends, I was siding more with David. He seemed of more like a logical choice to me and seemed to love Laurel already where Tam just seemed to want to be with Laurel and that's all. But after reading this, I am completely Team Tam. After seeing Tam's life and his family, he seems so much more at home with Laurel and makes Laurel feel special. The only reason why I would say Tam couldn't be with Laurel was because of what Tam said himself and that is because he isn't in the same class as Laurel. She would be ridiculed if they were together and he would always be gone to help guard Avalon.
David - I felt like David was just...there. He was there for Laurel and was a good boyfriend but I don't see the spark in him as I do with Tam. He wants to be with Laurel but he seems to give up so easily. He rather have a love lost than to fight for Laurel. Not every character has to be passionate but if he really cares for her, he should fight for her just as much as Tam does rather than wait for her to come to his doorstep.

Cover: I love the Wings series' covers. I like how they just choose natural flowers that seem to go with the feel of each book and goes with the faeries. They're plants, so that is what the cover represents.

Closing Thoughts: I give Spells a three out of four because I loved the progression in the book when it came to Avalon and the love triangle. I just wish there was a different twist in climax or tension. It seems like it was put in because we needed tension away from what was happening between David and Tamani. I'm looking forward to reading Illusions and seeing what happens to Laurel going back to school now knowing she's a faerie and who she will choose in the end.

Where to find Aprilynne:

Peace and Fangs,
Alisha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork: Resources Graphics