Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Review: Beneath the Skin (The Maker's Song #3) by Adrian Phoenix

Synopsis: THE FATE OF THREE WORLDS...

The dark pieces of vampire rock star Dante Baptiste's past are violently emerging, and it is only a matter of time before the Fallen discover he is the creawdwr they have sought for thousands of years. The destruction he left behind in Oregon threatens to reveal his identity as Fallen Maker and True Blood, exposing the young nightkind to shadowy predators -- mortal and supernatural -- who will do whatever it takes to win his favor...or destroy him.

RESTS IN DANTE'S HANDS.

When beautiful FBI special agent Heather Wallace went AWOL on assignment, she chose irresistible Dante over the shady government forces that now stalk them both. Heather has her own secrets of the past to uncover, but she is also the only one who can hold her nightkind lover together when his dangerous quest for the truth threatens to send him over the edge. And as she and Dante fight for their survival, she realizes they must work together to protect their future -- before his mysterious destiny tears them apart....

Review
Plot: I was so excited when I was able to finally get my hands on this book and get closer to being up-to-date with the series. The book quickly goes into where we left off in In Cold Blood, Heather and the gang continue to try to get back to New Orleans and figuring out how to control Dante's power. It was definitely filled with twist and turns that I was hoping for. We find out more about what Dante is and how his mind works along with his developing powers. I loved the parts where Dante flashed between reality and dreams because we got to see how bad Dante is becoming. I could feel myself getting tense and anxious from Dante's mind and could understand why he has constant seizures and migraines. But, Heather is his light, and when she was around him, it was hard not to see why he loves to be around her and the silence she brings. However, I didn't get as much romance as I wanted. The romantic scenes were nice and delicious, but it wasn't enough compared to the other books. Phoenix is always very elegant with her books with creating a plot along with a few steamy scenes, but I wish there were a few more. But, this book is still enough to keep me craving for the fourth installment.

Characters: Heather - Heather is an amazing character. I do love how she has progressed from being distant and closed off to being more emotional and letting not only Dante but others inside her head. She is very protective of Dante and that seemed more prevalent in this installment. We could see that she did have a jealous side, but it was never spoken too much about to discover her insecurities.
Dante - Of course, we all love Dante! (It's hard not to.) But, I felt a little distant from him. I did love the scenes with seeing into his mind and dreams. However, when it came to his relationship with Heather, it didn't seem like it was his priority. I wouldn't expect it to be though. He's trying to figure out what he is and how to control it along with finding out what happened with Lucien and getting away from almost every creature on earth.

Cover: I love the colors of this color. It is very dark and sinister in the background with Heather on the cover. I don't really like the wig the model is wearing, but I do like how the covers usually translate the characters.

Overall Rating: I will give this book a three out of four. I absolutely love this series and can't wait to see what Phoenix has in store for us fans! This installment was a great bridge to what is to come in the series. I was shocked by some of the turns the book takes, but it's definitely nice turns. The plot is progressing with not only people finding out about Dante being a True Blood and Fallen Maker but also him evolving into his own. This is a must read series and I commend Phoenix for such an amazing series!
Peace and Fangs,
Alisha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork: Resources Graphics