Saturday, April 23, 2011

Review: Water For Elephants (2011)

Looking for the book review? Click here!
Synopsis: Based on the acclaimed bestseller, WATER FOR ELEPHANTS presents an unexpected romance in a uniquely compelling setting. Veterinary school student Jacob meets and falls in love with Marlena, a star performer in a circus of a bygone era. They discover beauty amidst the world of the Big Top, and come together through their compassion for a special elephant. Against all odds -- including the wrath of Marlena's charismatic but dangerous husband, August -- Jacob and Marlena find lifelong love. Source

Review
Plot: I have read the book, so I went in with a good inclination of what the movie would have in it. I was a little sketchy on how some situations will be played out since it was PG-13, but I was ready for it. I did love the movie throughout. It was beautifully done and the location they chose was perfect for the backdrop of the film. I do have to say that each actor was phenomenal in their performances, but there seemed to be a lacking of chemistry in some scenes. I feel like the movie was rushed, even in two hours. I wish that it was longer, so Jacob's and Marlena's relationship could grow and you learned the real reasons behind August's actions, which they never do mention it. I will say that I did cry many times throughout the movie and it was very emotional throughout.

Actors: Rob Pattinson (Jacob)-Of course, I have too start with this guy first! I absolutely loved him. He embodied Jacob and wasn't really him I was looking at, but his character. I loved him in the scenes when he was ith Rosie. I couldn't help but smile through the whole scene because you could tell how happy he was working with her in the movie and as actors.
Reese Witherspoon (Marlena)-She was stunning as always. I felt such sympathy for her, she was stuck in an destructive manner. You knew when you were watching that one of them would have to die. It was too destructive. I wish that we could go deeper into her character's thinking and see what she was thinking. She was amazing in the scenes with August, you could see her love for him, but her longing to be free. She didn't want to hurt him, but she wanted to be happy.
Christoph Waltz (August)-I'm so glad he was in here. I didn't really know him at first, heard his name here and there, but never really knew him. After this movie, he deserves an Oscar for his performance. I'm not trying to be cruel, but he had the best performance in the whole movie. He grasped the character, August, so well and brought him to life. I hated him, but I felt his pain and sorrow for being able to control what he was doing. I cried for him because of what he was going through, but hated him for what he had done in some scenes. I loved him and want to see more of him.

Poster: Very beautiful. I love how they have the key characters. (Yes, Rosie is a key character.) It captures the esscence of what Marlena and Jacob want. A spectacular life, but it comes with a price.

Overall Rating: I give this movie a three out of four. That is a very good thing though. My only whining is over how fast paced the movie was and you go from them seeing each other to them expressing their love to one another. Other than that, the whole cast was perfect and amazing. The location was beautiful and it is an ending that leaves you satisfied. I would recommend anyone looking for a good flick to go see this movie. It is worth the money and it makes you think.
Peace and Fangs,
Alisha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork: Resources Graphics