Friday, August 6, 2010

Water For Elephants Review

As a young man, Jacob Jankowski was tossed by fate onto a rickety train that was home to the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth. It was the early part of the great Depression, and for Jacob, now ninety, the circus world he remembers was both his salvation and a living hell. A veterinary student just shy of a degree, he was put in charge of caring for the circus menagerie. It was there that he met Marlena, the beautiful equestrian star married to August, the charismatic but twisted animal trainer. And he met Rosie, an untrainable elephant who was the great gray hope for this third-rate traveling show. The bond that grew among this unlikely trio was one of love and trust, and, ultimately, it was their only hope for survival. Barnes & Noble

It took me some time to read this because of my busy schedule. (Thank you to Trixie and Tess for the wonderful book!) But, alas, I have finished it and am here to give you guys my review.

When I first started reading this book, it started off in...old Jacob's visit, he was in a retirement home. Instantly, I could see he didn't belong there. And, that there were secrets he was hiding from not only the other residents but from the readers. The secrets start out in the book where we go back to Jacob as a college boy.

This book is something I haven't read in awhile. Suspenseful. There are so many twists and turns in this book that at one point I had trouble keeping up. Each character has secrets that are announced further into the book or not at all and your left wondering. I liked the constant surprises in this book and the slight romance that started to illuminate between two characters. However, I kind of did not agree with it for one reason, it's a very obvious one of course. But, anyways, the romance and suspense is what really triggered me to read even faster to see how the book turns out. After watching (or reading) everything unfold, to me, the ending was slightly predictable on what happens to the characters but the very, very ending made a smile play on my face.

Overall, this is a book I can see being turned into a classic years from now. (Like a circus version of Catcher in the Rye.) It has all the aspects of a great book and something in there for everyone. I'm not surprised this was a New York Bestseller (#1 at that) and how it is being turned into a movie. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if it will join the criteria for summer reading lists.

So, I give this book a widely deserved four out of four nail polishes for the great suspense, unraveling romance, and twist and turns that made this book a classic for me. I recommend everyone read this book. It has enough romance and enough suspense to keep guys and girls entertained.

You can get movie information here.

Peace and Fangs,
Alisha

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you loved the book!!! It truly is a great book. It's timeless for sure, one that will be around for a long time. I love the twists and turns, especially at the end! The ending is one of my favorite parts of the book.

    Hope you had a great weekend!

    Tess♥

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork: Resources Graphics