Saturday, February 19, 2011

Review: Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey

Synopsis: Jill Jekel has always obeyed her parents rules;especially the one about never opening the mysterious, old box in her father's office. But when her dad is murdered, and her college savings disappear, she's tempted to peek inside, as the contents might be the key to a lucrative chemistry scholarship.

To improve her odds, Jill enlists the help of gorgeous, brooding Tristen Hyde, who has his own dark secrets locked away. As the team of Jekel and Hyde, they recreate experiments based on the classic novel, hoping not only to win a prize, but to save Tristen's sanity. Maybe his life. But Jill's accidental taste of a formula unleashes her darkest nature and compels her to risk everything, even Tristen's love just for the thrill of being . . . bad. Source
 
Review
Plot: I am a huge fan of Beth Fantaskey, so I was excited when I got my hands on JLH finally. I'm glad I got the chance to take a break from the UF and paranormal world for awhile, and Jekel Loves Hyde was an amazing read. I loved the book because it was a great romantic adaption of the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde story. I was scared to see Jill's bad side, I automatically knew it would be something with her being more..."easy". When I read her on her "Hyde" side, she was "easy", but she used it to help her kill. It was kind of interesting to see Tristen because at some points, you thought he had a mental illness but you also knew there was something more to it. The most interesting part of the book had to be that it was two characters instead of one. Usually with the Jekyll and Hyde story, it's just one person going through it. This book shows one person trying to save the other, but it happens to both of them. I liked it because both characters were the victims and the heroes.
 
Characters: Jill-I liked Jill in the aspect of a strong and brave heroin. Jill was sort of the stereotypical smart girl: glasses, loves chemistry, and is lonely. However, I did like that she was sort of stereotypical because Dr. Jekyll was a scientist and you couldn't have a Jekel that went to parties every weekend and wore short skirts or else when she did change, you couldn't see a difference.
Tristen-Thank you, Beth, for making this boy British. I love British boys and their accents, so Tristen had my vote from the very beginning. He was different from other romantic interests because he was so distant with Jill, but not... He wold share his deep feelings about how he felt about the "beast" inside of him with Jill, but keep some things from her. He was very sweet though and I almost melted when he called Jill "beautiful" or "dear". If I was her, I would have toppled over every time his British behind said those things.
 
Cover: This cover is absolutely stunning. The only thing I wanted was to see Tristen's face. I've noticed that the protagonists (Jill and Jessica from Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side) have their face shown, but you only see the guys' body. I like that she kind has her own trademark. Now when I see that kind of thing, I'll think of Beth Fantaskey. But,Tristen, please show me your face!
 
Overall Rating: I give this book a four! It was amazing, I love Beth Fantaskey's stuff. The ending to this book was a nice happily ever after. I am kind of hoping Beth has a sequel to this because I feel like stuff is just beginning between Jill and Tristen. Usually when I wish, there is no sequel...but I can only hope. If you have read this and liked it...please read Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, it is absolutely amazing and I am so ready for the sequel. You can read Jessica's and Lucius' wedding here.
Peace and Fangs,
Alisha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork: Resources Graphics