Monday, February 6, 2012

Manga Mondays: What's wrong with it?



So.. For today's question, which I probably should have addressed way back then, is:

Why don't people like Manga? What's wrong with it?

I can probably already answer the question for you: Basically, people are so wrapped up in mainstream manga and anime that they can't get it out of their FREAKING mindset that not every single one is like that.

This kind of goes back to my Manga style post. Style is so important in making an impact in our ideal of manga; it's crazy knowing how much it affects our standard. So lemme ask you, what is your standard of manga/anime? If you like it, why? If you don't, why not?

Don't gimme that crud that it's "lazy and they don't have the talent for realistic art, blahblahblah." Don't. Seriously, it's getting old. I hear it enough from people who haven't even seen amazingly well-drawn manga/anime. I hear it enough from the people in my art club. I'm not saying that I am the epitome of perfection of manga/anime; I'm just an artist who draws it. I can't say I am the best.

Another point that people could make is the convoluted plot lines in every single manga. LEMME TELL YOU SOMETHING, BUSTER! NOT EVERY MANGA HAS A STUPID SHOUNEN PLOT LINE OF "FRIENDSHIP IS THE BEST AND THE KEY TO WINNNING" OR "I WILL GET STRONGER TO DEFEAT YOU, RAWRRRRR!!" OR THAT STUPID AND FLOWERY SHOUJO PLOT LINE OF "AMG, IT IZ LUV @ FURST SIGHT, BLEHHH!" OR "I WILL MAKE THIS BOY MY HUSBAND AND I WILL LOVE HIM EVEN THOUGH I LOOK LIKE I'M 12 YEARS OLD AND HE LOOKS 20!!"... *heaves*...

Anyways, my point is that most (not saying all) critics of Manga/Anime only see the mainstream plot lines and designs that make it seem "standard" and if you are not in the standard, then you are not a Mangaka.


I AM HERE TO TELL YOU THAT IS A BIG, FAT, ENORMOUS, ELEPHANT-SIZED LIE!

I've seen excellent and extravagant artists all around, especially on DeviantArt to tell YOU, my friend, that drawing manga and anime doesn't force you to be in the standard or the main stream. What's fantastic, and I've said this before, is the uniqueness of Manga. It is a beautiful and wonderful medium, and nearly, some pictures just take my breath away. An artist's details and designs make the characters and scenery come to life. My love and adoration of all things Manga and Anime has given me a new respect for the Mangakas and artists that arise in our society. They are criticized for their style and medium, however, they do not back down and continue to draw their passions.

So to the readers reading this ranting of mine that is completely subjective, I ask you:

Can you accept this style? Can you embrace it with the love that you have shown other pieces of work?

We all start somewhere. For us Manga and Anime artists, this is our start.

Inked with Brilliance and Love,
Sara.

P.S. I'm sorry this is just a huge rant. I had to get it off my chest. And I also apologize that this isn't really a feature. I'll do a better feature next Monday. Today was just a crazy day. ;_;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork: Resources Graphics