Saturday, October 8, 2011

Review: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins

Synopsis: In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
 
Review
Plot: I've heard so much about this book and with the movie fast approaching, I decided I would give this a try. At first, when I started to read it, I didn't understand hype or anything. I was intrigued by what became of North America and how even though it is in the future, it doesn't seem like it by District Twelve. However, you start to understand why they don't have much cable or even water sometimes. The government controls everything and that is where the Games come into play, to make sure everyone stays in line. Once Katniss came forward in place of her sister, the ball started to roll...including with Peeta. It wasn't until we met Cinna where I started to get emotionally involved with the book. He observes Katniss and expresses her personality through her wardrobe and the outfits she describes sound so extravagant and glamorous that I can not wait to see what they look like in the film. As the Games start, I was clenching my teeth and hoping for the best for Katniss. While reading it, you are completely engrossed in the Games and start choosing the characters you like and which ones you could do without. And, Collins, is not shy not tell the details of someones death or the wounds on opponents. I could see myself cheering when Katniss avoided death or finally found water! The plot is centered around the Games, but you can see that there is more to come after the Games, including Katniss' rebellious moments.
 
Characters: Katniss - I was very wary of her when I started to read the book. She was a very closed off character and didn't acknowledge her emotions, which I had seen before. But, it was so hard for me not to love her. She had a hard life and was the bread winner of the family. Plus, she went in the place of her sister, so that gave a million check marks by her name for me.
Peeta - Peeta is very funny and a relief compared to the constant high stakes emotions Katniss has. However, I can not see him as a good fit for Katniss. He says the cutest things sometimes, but when it came to the action and helping Katniss, he fell flat. It was hard to see him just stand by while Katniss kicked butt and helped them survive. I'm all for girl power, but Peeta seemed to just keep getting hurt.
 
Cover: I love the Mockingjay pin. The description of them seemed to fit Katniss and her journey. But, I liked it mostly because it signified her district and that she was representing a group of people who are looked upon as weak.
 
Overall Rating: I am giving this book a three out of four. The plot is definitely enticing and I am even more excited for this series, but it had a slow start. It seemed to take forever for just Katniss to get to the Capitol. The book, however, is an amazing read and this is a great book to read if you're into dystopia and action. Plus, it has the romance that us love addicts want.
Peace and Fangs,
Alisha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork: Resources Graphics