Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Top Ten Tuesdays: Books You Believe Should Be Require Reading for Teens

TTT is a weekly meme held by the girls over at The Broke and the Bookish. Here is my list for this week's topic:

1) Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling - The series teaches courage and bravery along with sticking with what you believe in. Also, this is such an iconic series that I think future generations need to see why this series is so important and what it brought for so many people.

2) The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - Death is the narrator for this book and it created such an intriguing read that none of my classmates disliked it. This book brings so much love and hate, and makes life so much more valuable.

3) Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice - This is THE classic vampire story. Teens should read this because it tells such a complex story of grief, love and murder along with amazing grammar and writing structure.

4) Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen - I can't even begin to say why this needs to be on every school reading list. I think this is one of the most realistic fictional stories out there. Every theme in here from romance to destruction tugs at your heart and can teach teens that even in the darkest times, you can rise above it.

5) The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde - I actually have not read this book, but I've seen the movie. Obviously, no movie can amount to the actual book, but I loved this story. It teaches that your wrongdoings will catch up with you and to watch what you wish for.

The rest are because they're classics:
6) To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

7) Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

8) The Odyssey by Homer

9) Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

10) The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Peace and Fangs,
Alisha

3 comments:

  1. Book Thief got on my list, too, and now that you mention it you're right about Dorian Grey. Though I have not - um - ever actually finished it, it's really beautifully written and has some interesting ideas about youth and influence. Great list, you have some things I didn't think to include.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your list. I really really need to read The Book Thief. It is showing up on everyone's list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. +JMJ+

    I agree with you about Interview with a Vampire, although I didn't think of it until I read your post. It has so many powerful themes and Anne Rice wrote it from a very deep place in her soul. It's an examination of faith from someone who (at the time she wrote it, at least) had none.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork: Resources Graphics