Monday, May 9, 2011

Quick Interview with Beth Fantaskey

What can we expect for your 2012 release, Jessica Rules the Dark Side?
Lots of romance, passion, peril - and humor. It's also about finding courage when you're nearly overwhelmed by fear.


How did you come up with Jessica and Lucius?
They just sprang to life in my mind, like they walked into my office as fully formed people. I never actually sat down and considered what traits or mannerisms they might have. From page one, I just let them "speak."

Do you have any more planned for Jekel and Hyde?
No, not right now. My next book is about new characters.

Do you have any new projects coming up?
Yes, as I mentioned above, I have another paranormal romance coming out in 2013. It's a different kind of twist on an old story, which is something I like to play around with. I'm excited about it!
What advice do you have for aspiring writers?
I always urge people to treat writing like anything else they want to be good at – which means practicing every day. I get the sense that some people think writing is a “gift” that you either have, or don’t have. But it’s also a talent that you can develop with hard work and practice. So I always encourage new writers to sit down and work, just like you’d practice piano if you wanted to be a concert pianist, or do soccer drills if you wanted to be a soccer star.

I worked as a professional writer for nearly twenty years before I tried a novel, and I learned something every day that I sat at the keyboard.

What is the best/worst part of being a writer?
The best part is using my imagination every day. The worst part is waiting for books to come out after they're done. I'm always impatient with the lag time, but that's just the way the industry works.

What is one tip you have for writers and readers?
My "tip" is actually a question that my husband asked me once, when I was getting stressed about a deadline. He walked into my office, saw me working like a maniac, and noted, "This is supposed to be fun, isn't it?" That little question actually changed my life. I ask it of myself all the time now, and if I'm not enjoying what I'm doing, I make adjustments.

You can check out my interview with Beth about eating, reading, and love over here.

Peace and Fangs,
Alisha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork: Resources Graphics