Sunday, March 13, 2011

Review: Beastly

Synopsis: Prone to mocking and humiliating "aggressively unattractive" classmates, Kyle zeroes in on Goth classmate Kendra, inviting her to the school's extravagant environmental bash. Kendra accepts, and, true to form, Kyle blows her off in a particularly savage fashion. She retaliates by casting a spell that physically transforms him into everything he despises. Enraged by his horrible and unrecognizable appearance he confronts Kendra and learns that the only solution to the curse is to find someone that will love him as he is -- a task he considers impossible. Repulsed by his appearance, Kyle's callous father banishes him to Brooklyn with a sympathetic housekeeper and blind tutor. As Kyle ponders how to overcome the curse and get his old life back, he chances upon a drug addict in the act of killing a threatening dealer. Seizing the opportunity, Kyle promises the addict freedom and safety for his daughter, Lindy, if she will consent to live in Kyle's Brooklyn home. Source

Plot: The movie was based off of the book by Alex Flinn. After reading the book, I found out that there was a movie. In my review, I kind of went on a rant when I saw the trailer. I'm still kind of in that rant mood. He was supposed to be a beast! Come on, a guy who looks like how Alex Pettyfer did in the movie in New York? Yeah, it'll draw heads, but not as much as how a true beast would. The movie is about how love is never ugly, but I feel like they tamed down Kyle's looks for the movie. And, the little rose tattoo on his arm, cute but cliche! However, it was good enough to make me cry and even "Aww", yes I "Aww"ed out loud, over the movie. It was a good movie and I'm glad I saw it.

Actors: Alex Pettyfer (Kyle)-Alex is on his way to becoming the new hottest thing. He was in "I Am Number Four", "Beastly", and a lot of MI fans want him to play Jace Wayland in the upcoming movies. I loved him in here and I can't wait to see what other projects her does.
Vanessa Hudgens (Lindy)-OK, so I like Vanessa, she's a pretty girl and does very well in her parts. However, the only reason I was iffy on her going into the movie was because her character had to be "average-looking" and had red hair. Vanessa did a great job though and made the movie seem genuine instead of cheesy.

Poster: I saw the poster days after I saw the movie. It is very beautiful and dark, which kind of undertones the themes of the movie/book. I like how Vanessa looks at Alex with love and affection. Plus, the phrase is a perfect fit.

Overall Rating: I give this movie a three out of four. I loved the acting and it had it's little quirks here and there, but I have to take away a nail polish when it comes to how Kyle should have looked.
Peace and Fangs,
Alisha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork: Resources Graphics