Monday, January 3, 2011

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope


Rated:
PG for sci-fi violence
and brief mild language.

Director:
George Lucas

Writers:
George Lucas

Release Date:
May 25, 1977





Synopsis:
Part IV in Star Wars: A New Hope opens with a rebel ship being boarded by the tyrannical Darth Vader. The plot then follows the life of a simple farmboy, Luke Skywalker, as he and his newly met allies (Han Solo, Chewbacca, Ben Kenobi, C-3PO, R2-D2) attempt to rescue a rebel leader, Princess Leia, from the clutches of the Empire.

My Review:
I first saw this movie when I was about like 8 or 9. I really didn't understand this movie and could care less. When I was about 12 I saw this movie again. I fell in love with this movie. I think that this movie really made me the movie addict I am today.

For those of you who haven't seen this movie, I'll describe the plot. Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) is a young man who lives with his uncle and aunt on a desert planet. See. Luke's parents are dead. One day, as Luke is... outside, something crashes and he checks it out. It turns out there were two robots in there, namely C-3P0 and R2-D2. They have a message to give to some guy named Obi-Wan Kenobi (which turns out to be Alec Guiness!) from Princess Leia Organa (Carrie Fisher). Luke goes off to find old Ben, who lives close to his uncle. Old Ben gives Luke a long story about how his father was a Jedi and he will be one too, etc. When they come back, Luke's uncle and aunt are dead and now, he's not safe. So Luke and Ben and the robots head to Nar Shadaa, a hole, basically. There they meet up with Han Solo (Harrison Ford) and his big, uh, ape-like thing called a Wookie.

There's a lot more plot to this movie, and I would pass the limit of 1000 word before I could explain it all. The fact of the matter is, there's a lot of backstory to this movie.

George Lucas and John Hughes are probably my favorite directors of all time. I recently just re-watched this movie (yesterday) and I thought it was pretty amazing. Instead of really watching the movie I looked at the details. More of the special effects and the transitions. I thought it was really cool because most of the transitions or special effects that were used back then can be created just by a regular person today. For example I like making short movies with my friends on Final Cut Express and you can do laser/missile/explosion effects on it. For transitions there were a lot of cross dissolves and right wipes.

The cast of characters includes some of the coolest, funniest, and most tragic in film, and the actors who play them fit seamlessly into this new universe. Alec Guiness is flawless as Obi-Wan Kenobi, a Jedi on the run from the evil Empire. Harrison Ford is awesome as Han Solo, a smuggler and thief who helps the gang rescue the princess. But the my favorite character of all time is Darth Vader. Not only is he the coolest bad guy, but we learn in later films why he is evil and start to feel sympathetic for him. Not to mention that booming voice that can make ordering a pizza sound threatening. This movie was not only the beginning of the best movie series ever, but it was the beginning of my love for movies.

To wrap it up, I think that anyone who has a passion for sci-fi movies or movies should definitely watch this. I would probably suggest this for ages 11 or 12 and up because it might be confusing for children.

from,
madigan aka m@dz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork: Resources Graphics