Saturday, November 27, 2010

Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz (Review)

Reading level: Young Adult
Edition: Hardcover, 320 pages
Language: English
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Published: April 25, 2006
Synopsis: Schuyler Van Alen is confused about what is happening to her. Her veins are starting to turn blue, and she’s starting to crave raw meat. Soon, her world is thrust into an intricate maze of secret societies and bitter intrigue. Schuyler has never been a part of the trendy crowd at her prestigious New York private school. Now, all of a sudden, Jack Force, the most popular guy in school, is showing an interest in her. And when one of the popular girls is found dead, Schuyler and Jack are determined to get to the bottom of it.

Schuyler wants to find out the secrets of the mysterious Blue Bloods. But is she putting herself in danger? Melissa de la Cruz’s vampire mythology, set against the glitzy backdrop of New York City, is a juicy and intoxicating read. Source

Review: I jumped on this book the chance I got when I had to read this book for school. (Yes, it really was on a list of things I could read for my book report.) I heard about it from everyone once they found out I love vampires, so this was my chance to read it.

I will say that the plot was very interesting. An elite group of vampires in a rich school, it's like a new twist on A-list series or the Gossip Girl series. The plot did move slowly though. It took awhile for things to come forward and be revealed. I did like that the plot was not fast paced and one secret was revealed before you could make sense of the last one. However, it did move way too slowly to where when it ended with a cliffhanger I was surprised. It seemed like there was no climax to the book and the book was just a opener to the second book. I wanted the book to leave me hanging, but close off with something so I could stand waiting until I got my hands on the next installment.

My favorite character had to be Oliver, Schyler's best friend. He was truly the perfect character in my eyes. He had his flaws, but I loved when he would because he would say he was "just human". I feel like Oliver is very good for Schyler and he will do anything for her. Secretly, I want him and Schyler to end up together. They're too perfect for one another.

As for the cover, I loved it because of how it reflects New York, where the book is set in, and the girl with the string of pearls and the bite marks. It explains some aspects of the book which is was very beautifully done.

If you're a big Twilight and Gossip Girl fan, then you'll love this book!

I give it a 3 out of 4 because of the book in general, but the plot confused me on how it ended and there seemed to be some things that were too confusing to grasp even if they were still not revealed.

Peace and Fangs,
Alisha

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I'm a new follower, and this review has made me follow for more. I love how you tell us about your favourite characters (and give reasons), and the way you describe who this book would be perfect for.
    Thanks for the excellent review, and I'll definitely be picking it up.

    Happy reading,
    Tina @ Book Couture

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork: Resources Graphics