Sunday, October 3, 2010

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Book Review)

Genre: Classic, Historical Fiction
Published: 1960
Format: Paperback, 281 Pages
Synopsis: Harper Lee's classic novel of a lawyer in the deep south defending a black man charged with the rape of a white girl. One of the best-loved stories of all time, To Kill a Mockingbird has earned many distinctions since its original publication in 1960. It won the Pulitzer Prize, has been translated into more than forty languages, sold more than thirty million copies worldwide, and been made into an enormously popular movie. Most recently, librarians across the country gave the book the highest of honors by voting it the best novel of the twentieth century. Source

Review: Of course, like all other high schoolers, this girl had to read To Kill A Mockingbird for summer reading. At first, I was skeptical at this: it didn't look interesting and I wasn't always excited about reading books that our teachers assigned us. However, like some other books, this book was better than I expected it to be. The first time I read this it took me forever to get done with it, and it was only around 280 pages! I knew that I wasn't udnerstanding what was going on, but I was just rushing through it to get it done before school. The second time I read it was during school because my teacher decided that since some people "didn't get" the summer reading, everyone should read it over. When I read it over, I read the SparkNote for the chapter and then read the chapter to better understand the plot.

TKAM has different themes throughout the book from racism to small towns to family. The characters bring different examples on all of these themes. My favorite character was, of course, Scout. She was the main character and the voice of the novel. What I liked about her was how she matured throughout the novel. In the beginning, she is a small girl who is innocent to the world around her. As the Tom Robinson case proceeds, she starts to see that the world around her isn't so innocent and accepting like her and her family is.

Along with the characters, the setting and location seemed to spark a life of its own. Since Scout's family lives in a small town in Maycomb County, you see different views of the residents in the town. Because of the small town atmosphere, one view takes up the majority of the residents' minds, so when someone in the town has a diffeent mindset, you can see the res tof the residents' responses to that.

I give this book a perfect score because it is an epitome of a classic novel and how the topic of racism should be expressed, with every different view shown properly and elegantly.

Peace and Fangs,
Alisha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork: Resources Graphics